Friday, April 27, 2012

Spider Stitch Exploration Part 2. Swatch Pattern

This is my second post in the Spider Stitch Exploration series. In Part 1, I shared a symbol chart for a spider stitch. However, not everyone knows how to use symbol charts. In the USA, most crocheters use written directions patterns. So I tried to come up with one.

I must admit it was not an easy task. But luckily there are so many wonderful people who share the love for crocheting and willing to help! I want to thank Mary from Crochet Partners Yahoo Group, who helped me to revise the pattern, and other group members who tested it for me.
Thank you ladies!

spider stitch crochet pattern


Spider Stitch Swatch Pattern

Abbreviations

ch chain(s)
sc single crochet(s)
dc double crochet(s)
() contains explanatory information

Ch 23.

Row 1: Dc in fourth chain from hook (three skipped chains count as first dc) and in each ch across.

Row 2: Ch 3 (counts as first dc now and throughout), turn; dc in each of next 8 dc; chain 8, skip next 3 dc, dc in each of next 9 dc to end of row.

Row 3: Ch 3, turn; dc in each of next 5 dc; chain 5, skip next 3 dc and next 3 ch, sc in each of next 2 ch of ch-8; ch 5, skip next 3 ch and next 3 dc, dc in each of next 6 dc to end of row.

Row 4: Ch 3, turn; dc in each of next 2 dc; ch 5, skip next 3 dc and next 3 ch, sc in each of next 2 ch of ch-5; sc in each of next 2 sc and sc in each of next 2 ch of ch-5; ch 5, skip next 3 ch and next 3 dc, dc in each of next 3 dc to end of row.

Row 5: Ch 3, turn; dc in each of next 2 dc; dc in each of next 3 ch of ch-5; ch 5, skip next 2 ch and next 2 sc, sc in each of next 2 sc; ch 5, skip next 2 sc and next 2 ch, dc in each of next 3 ch of ch-5; dc in each of next 3 dc to end of row.

Row 6: Ch 3, turn; dc in each of next 5 dc; dc in each of next 3 ch of ch-5; ch 3, skip next 2 ch, 2 sc, and 2 ch, dc in each of next 3 ch of ch-5; dc in each of next 6 dc to end of row.

Row 7: Ch 3, turn; dc in each of next 8 dc; dc in each of next 3 ch; dc in each of next 9 dc to end of row.


I'm linking to Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home,
Fibers on Friday @ Visions of Sugar Plums
Link Your Stuff @ Annemarie's Crochet Blog

12 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! Thanks for taking the time to post the pattern. Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having just discovered your blog, I have to tell you how much I love, love, love it! So many things to learn to do, so many beautiful things to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga, this is so pretty and how wonderful that you have shared the pattern. Thank you! And thank you for your comments on my blog about learning crochet from your mom and it being one of the most wonderful gifts she gave you. How that touched my heart. I will be saving these thoughts and talk to you more about them. Crochet has brought so many sweet, loving people into my life, many of whom I will never meet face to face but are known by the heart. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the spider stitch! I've made a blanket with it in the past (http://clairegetscrafty.blogspot.ca/2010/11/i-finished-baby-blanket.html), but your version seems far daintier, even girly-er! Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing... I don't know why they named it spider stitch... it's look like a daisy....
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic tutorial Olga!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Olga, I was wondering if you could tell me what would be the multiples for starting chain, if I had to increase the width ? It says chain 23, but if I wanted more of this beautiful pattern width-wise? How can I do it ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Niko,

      Ok, so if it was 23 for the swatch, and we start with dc in 4th ch from hook, that means one pattern repeat is 21. So it should be multiple of 21, plus 2.

      I just did the calculations right now, but I didn't actually check it.

      So I would recommend you make a swatch starting with ch 44 (21*2 + 2) to double check if it works.

      Delete
    2. Hi Olga, thank you so much for your quick reply. I really didn't think you would respond so soon. I am so glad. Yea I also tried to work that math of one dc, but somehow I didnt get it. I will try to make a swatch with what you have suggested, and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again !!! :-)

      Delete
    3. Hi Olga, thank you so much for your quick reply. I really didn't think you would respond so soon. I am so glad. Yea I also tried to work that math of one dc, but somehow I didnt get it. I will try to make a swatch with what you have suggested, and let you know how it turns out. Thanks again !!! :-)

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete