Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Crocheted Vintage Piece


This gorgeous lacy piece was made by my husband’s great-grandmother!

Originally it was intended as a bedspread, but it never was completed. My mother-in-law passed it to me wondering if I could finish it.

I think I could’ve recreated the same motif, but I don’t think I can find the same or similar thread. You see, the thread used for this piece is thicker than size 10 crochet cotton thread, but it’s thinner than cotton yarn. I have never seen such thread at stores. 

So I turned this lovely piece into a small tablecloth. I debated for a while if I should make a trim and decided against it. I think it’s quite charming the way it is!

I’m very thankful to my mom-in-law for this wonderful present! I have two boys and perhaps one day I will pass this vintage piece to my daughter-in-law.

I'm linking to
Adorned From Above Blog Hop @ Adorned From Above
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home,
Link Your Stuff @ Annamarie's Haakblog

16 comments:

  1. These are the crown jewels of vintage lovlies..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very pretty one! I also made a couple of crochet tablecloths in white earlier which do not have a trim. I guess I must leave it like that. Have you ever used Anchor knitting cotton? It is thicker than size 10 but less than other cotton yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should check out Anchor cotton. I've never heard of it before. Thank you for letting me know ;-)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely keepsake. Sweet of your mom-in-law. I wouldn't have added anything to
    it either...it's perfect as is. :)
    penny x
    Knot Forgotten Studio@facebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!! You are soooo lucky. Heloise @daisies and dragonflies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful !!! And a very talented family...
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful !!! And a very talented family...
    Have a nice day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes! It is so charming on your table & what a delightful piece to have in your possesion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing at Adorned From Above. We always love seeing what new things you are creating.
    Debi and Charly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola ,encantada de conocer tu blog,es precioso!!
    Que belleza de mantel,una joya!!Saludos desde Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Es una pieza bellisima mas aún con la historia que lleva, sin duda que sera una joya para ti , así son los tejidos que tengo de mi abuela, los adoro y son piedra preciosa para mi, seguro que sera para tu hija un placer recibir un trocito de esta herencia, hermosa historia y bello trabajo, besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Olga, What a beautiful treasure to be given. It is indeed very special. I have made some of those lovely flowers from your lovely tutorial. I just posted them on my blog. I think you will be pleased with them. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful and very resourceful blog! Thanks for your visit!
    I have nominated your blog for a very cute award. Visit
    http://weaverbirdie.blogspot.in/2013/02/elephant-hat-pattern-and-cute-award.html
    to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful piece and the story behind it makes it even more special xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete