Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Garden Stripes Baby Blanket or Possibly Lapghan, Free Pattern



When I started working on this design I intended it as baby blanket, but when I finished it I realized it can make a wonderful lapghan as well.





I’m actually going to keep it and use as a lapghan. It’s nice to have something cozy on my garden chair (which is cast iron and therefore gets cold easily) when I’m reading a book or having a cup of coffee in the morning.




In my free pattern below I included some notes on how to adjust the pattern to make a lapghan in the size you like.



This pattern is my original design. It cannot be posted on other sites or distributed in any other form. If you would like to share this pattern, you can post ONE image on your site with the link to my original post. You can use this pattern to make items for personal use or for sale. If you sell finished items from this pattern, you must give design credit to Lacy Crochet blog (lacycrochet.blogspot.com). Please, respect my work. Thank you!

This pattern is written using US crochet terminology.


Finished Size: about 40 by 33 inches (if you would like to make a lapghan, start with a longer chain, but make sure the amount of chains is a multiple of 2, plus 1).


Skill Level: Easy


Materials:


US Hook size G/6, 4.25 MM


Worsted weight yarn in two colors, about 950 yards of each

For the blanket shown in the pictures, I used Pound of Love by Lion Brand (one white skein, one pink skein)


Gauge: Not important


Abbreviations:


ch chain

sl st slip stitch

sc single crochet

dc double crochet

* * Instructions between asterisks should be repeated as many times as there are stitches to accommodate them.



With first color yarn, ch 121 loosely.


Row 1: 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, *skip 1 ch, 2 dc in next ch* across, dc in last ch.


Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc in same beginning space, sc in each dc across. Attach the other color.


Note: you can continue your work without cutting off the first color yarn. When you finish the last row and make trim, you will crochet trim over the yarn, so it won’t be noticeable. However, if it’s not comfortable for you to crochet having another yarn dangling along, cut off and fasten the yarn after each color stripe. Weave in the yarn ends before making trim.


Row 3: ch 3, turn, *skip next sc, 2 dc in next sc* across, dc in last sc.


Row 4: ch 1, turn, sc in same beginning space, sc in each dc across. Switch to the other color.


Repeat Row 3 – Row 4 until the blanket is about 39 inches long (or longer if you are making a lapghan), ending with a stripe of first color (for example, if you started with pink, end with pink as well).


Make trim using first color yarn


Round 1:


Working in end of rows: sc in each end of row across, 2 sc in corner space.


Working in original chain: *sc in next space where 2 dc were made, sc in next ch-1 space* across, 2 sc in corner space.


Working in end of rows: sc in each end of row across, 2 sc in corner space.


Working in last row: sc in each sc across, join round with sl st.


Round 2: sc in each sc around, and 2 sc in corner spaces; join with sl st.


Fasten off. Block if needed.

I will gladly welcome any feedback from you on the pattern. I tried my best to write it, but mistakes and/or typos are possible. I hope you’ll enjoy making either a baby blanket or a lapghan from my pattern.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pammy Sue from Scotty's Place kindly tested my pattern for a pinafore baby dress that I recently created. Just look how lovely her dress turned out. She also made a lovely headband to match the dress. How cute!

Thank you Pammy Sue!



The pattern for this baby dress is available in my Etsy shop.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby blanket patterns from my shop: 






18 comments:

  1. It is so pretty! I'd be tempted to keep it too! ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely baby blanket Olga, thank you for the pattern, the little dress is so pretty, Pammy Sue has done a great job, I love the little headband too a lovely finishing touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Υπέροχα τα πλεχτά σου Όλγα μου!!! Συγχαρητήρια!
    Σου εύχομαι καλό Πάσχα!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful !!!!
    Happy Easter !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty pink & white blanket. Love that stitch you used too! Very nice pattern...thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that blanket! And Pammy Sue's test of your pattern turned out so cute. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a really lovely pattern, Olga. I am glad you decided to stay with us. The lapghan would also make a nice gift for an elderly relative or as charity gifts for an old-age home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely as always Olga. I love the baby dress pattern. Pammy Sue did a great job on it.
    A very happy Easter weekend to you,
    Beca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Olga, I’m SO glad you decided to continue with your blog – I must tell you my heart skips a little beat every time my inbox has an e-mail from ‘Lacy Crochet’ – I save opening the e-mail and link till I have a little time on hand and a cuppa at the ready!



    ReplyDelete
  10. Pammy Sue would be the best test crocheter of a sweet little dress like this. Love your new blanket.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this pattern..! I have been looking for a lapghan for my office chair and this is perfect..!!!! I'm also very glad you're continuing with your blog. I have followed your blog for a long time and have loved the patterns that you have shared. It is a shame that a few will take advantage of your goodness and make life difficult for you and take advantage of your kindness!!!! Hugs and blessing to you, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great blanket - perfect colors for spring. Thanks for sharing the pattern. Cute little dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I am new to your blog. What beautiful things you make and thank you for sharing your patterns. By looking at your crochet I think I have probably doubled my to-do crochet list! Full of inspiration! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baby blanket/afghan is lovely. I haven't made one yet for my new niece, I have been turning out "little things", but it really is time to dig into something bigger! The little dress is so very sweet, that may just turn my head first, though.
    I linked back to you on a pair of the bootees that I made and posted on my blog. I made them in white and sent them out with 3 extra pairs of ribbons in different colors to match with different outfits. I only wish Baby's Maman would let me know if they fit, so I could make more! I love them, and have made more to give, when I hear of new babies. I hope you had a lovely Easter. I bet your little ones kept you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The garden stripe is such a beautiful pattern. Thank you for sharing it. I do however have a question. In row 3 it reads to dc in last sc. Is the last sc the chain? I'm sure I'm not reading it correctly. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is it always 121 across, it's my first blanket and it seems to be going on a slant on the side I keep making sure I have 121 across but I must be doing something wrong :(

    ReplyDelete