Monday, July 21, 2014

Preschooler Boy Crochet Hat, My New Pattern





It’s only July, but I’m already crocheting things for autumn.

This is the hat I made for my youngest son, who is three. Actually, this hat has a nice stretchable texture and it fits my older son, who is five, as well. So the size is 3 to 5 years old.

The final hat measures about 20 inches in circumference and 7.5 inches in height. 

This is not an easy project! You must be very comfortable working with front post and back post double crochets. I found that it’s quite tricky to work 2 back/front post double crochets into 1 back/front post double crochet. But it is possible!

The yarn that I used for this hat was Bernat Softee Baby (100% acrylic) in grey color. I used up about half the skein, somewhere around 170 yards. This yarn was perfect for this project. The hat is soft to touch and stretchable.

The little model in the photos is my son Niko. He didn’t quite get it why mommy wanted him to wear a hat and a jacket in summer heat. But once I mentioned a popsicle as a reward, he was happy to smile at the camera. Isn’t he a charmer?

I really enjoyed working on this project, and I love how it turned out. I have a few more autumn/winter projects in mind – a similar beanie for my older son, and maybe some slouchy hats for both of them. I also have a beautiful baby alpaca wool yarn in my stash, which would be perfect for a new scarf or cowl for myself. 


The pattern for this hat is available in my Etsy and Craftsy shops. 


I'm linking this post to
Link Your Stuff @ Annamarie's Haakblog

11 comments:

  1. What fine hats, what a beautiful pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! Really pretty pattern!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blue, lovely hat !!!
    Have a great day !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pattern Olga! And your little boy is so adorable. : )

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. un diseño muy original y bonito!!un besito.maria:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ольга, очень красивый и сложный узор. Я думаю, что шапочка достаточно теплая и замечательно смотрится на вашем сыночке.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat hat, I really like the texture and design in it. Your son is a cutie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great hat Olga, and darling little one.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely one of the cutest little boy hats I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab pattern Olga, on my to-do list definitely!
    Have a wonderful weekend Pat xx

    ReplyDelete