Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Preemie Girls Baby Hat Free Crochet Pattern


Today I have a new preemie baby hat pattern to share. But before I get to the pattern, I want to share the story that inspired me to create these tiny preemie hats.





One of the customers from my Etsy shop bought all the preemie baby hat patterns that I have (shown on the photo below). She left me a note sharing that when her daughter was born she was quite small, but this Christmas she will turn twenty-one. 

So Janet is going to make twenty-one preemie hats, and on the Christmas Eve day, she will take them to the neonatal ward at the hospital where her daughter was born. 

I was touched by Janet's kindness and I also felt honored that she will be using my patterns. 






While there are lots of free or paid baby hat patterns on the web, there are not that many patterns for premature babies. I hope my pattern will be useful and will inspire crocheters for acts of kindness just like Janet's. 







For these hats I used Handicrafter crochet thread by Bernat. At the moment, it's my favorite thread to work with for baby and kids items. It's an acrylic thread that gives a soft and stretchy texture.  



Olga Poltava © March, 2016

This pattern may not be redistributed in any form. But you are welcome to make items for personal use, for charity, or for sale. 


Size: preemie

Measurements: about 12 inches in circumference (plus stretch) and 4 inches in height


Skill Level: Beginner

Materials:

1.75 mm steel hook


100% acrylic crochet thread size 5 (Handicrafter by Bernat)

Amount needed: about 100 yards


Premade satin ribbon flowers (optional)


Gauge: first 4 rounds = 2.5 inches in diameter


Abbreviations:

ch: chain

sl st: slip stitch

dc: double crochet

V-st: (dc, ch 1, dc) all in same space

* * Instructions between asterisks should be repeated as many times as there are stitches to accommodate them or as many times as stated.


Ch 5, join in ring with sl st.

Round 1: ch 4 (counts as 1st dc and ch 1), *dc in ring, ch 1* 11 times; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-4. (12 dc)

Round 2: sl st in next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space (counts as 1st V-st), V-st in each ch-1 space around; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-3. (12 V-st)

Round 3: sl st in next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space (counts as 1st V-st), ch 1, *V-st in next V-st, ch 1* around; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-4. (12 V-st)

Round 4: sl st in next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space (counts as 1st V-st), V-st in next ch-1 space, *V-st in next V-st, V-st in next ch-1 space* around; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-4. (24 V-st)

Round 5: sl st in next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space (counts as 1st V-st), V-st in each V-st around. (24 V-st)
Round 6: same as Round 3. (24 V-st)

Repeat Round 6 until the hat measures 4 inches in height.

Last Round: sl st in next ch-1 space, ch 3, 2 dc in same ch-1 space, ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook (picot made), 3 dc in same ch-1 space, *(3 dc, ch 3, sl st in 3rd ch from hook, 3 dc) all in next V-st* around; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-3. (24 shells)

Fasten off.

Decorate the hat with premade satin ribbon flowers (optional). 



7 comments:

  1. That is really a wonderful story about your customer and the hats. Thanks for sharing this lovely hat pattern. Enjoy the weekend Olga. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely hats!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful story. My Little Buddy is a preemie with a lot of complications. I admire your friend for acknowledging how important these hats are to the little ones.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. we donate blankets mostly to the local chapter of the Newborns in Need (premie babies born under the poverty level) but these hats are so adorable we will have to make a few of these too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Janet's story! And you know I LOVE your patterns!
    I finally finished one of your patterns yesterday... I will show it on my blog real soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your story and the pattern to this lovely hat. This will be the first time I crochet a preemie hat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love giving, "paying it forward". This year I am making red premie hats for the Red Cross "Little Hats, Big Hearts" project. This will make up really cute. I can't wait to make it. Donations accepted ~ WWW.HEART.ORG/LITTLEHATSBIGHEARTS

    ReplyDelete