Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ladies’ Handkerchief with Lace


Nowadays, handkerchiefs are considered obsolescent, and no one really uses them anymore. But I don’t think they deserve to be rejected entirely. Won’t you agree that there is something very romantic about delicate ladies’ handkerchiefs?

handkerchief with crochet lace




crochet edging

Some time ago, I bought a whole bunch of simple yet pretty handkerchiefs. And now I adorn them with crochet lace. It’s actually very simple to do.

First, I made a round of single crochet stitches at the perimeter of the handkerchief. I used a very thin and sharp hook (I don't know its size, my dad made that hook for my mom many decades ago). Then I added two more rounds of double crochets and chains.

I came up with this simple pattern myself. I sketched it in case you would like to try it too.

I used Daisy mercerized crochet cotton number 20 (which I found at a yard sale a while back).

crochet edging pattern

I'm linking this post to these link parties:
Home Sweet Home Friday @The Charm of Home,
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home.

9 comments:

  1. It is beautiful. I love handkerchiefs and still carry them with me. You did a beautiful job on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely,
    I too love the vintage hankies with crochet around them..I can't get enough of them..this one is stunning..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the sweet border around this gorgeous handkerchief. Your crochet is beautiful and I love your blog. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello I am now your newest follower and thank you for stopping in and becoming my follower! :) I love Love love your hankie edging. I love edging hankies, I picked up a few when we were up in Morro Bay last summer at an antique shop and have been edging them I have one really old hankie that is of little kitties that I picked up for my sister since she loves cats, I think I will use your edging to finish that one up...great post. :) Debb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a very Merry Christmas! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your handkerchief! The edging is maybe simple but really beautyfull.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MERHABA 1 SAATTİR SAYFALARINIZI GEZİYORUM HARİKULADE İŞLERİNİZ ZİYARETİNİZ BENİ ÇOK MUTLU ETTİ SİZ BENİM KIZLARIMIN YAŞINDASINIZ PRAVO SİZE SİZİNLE GÜZEL PAYLAŞILARDA BULUŞMAK ÜZERE

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this pattern available in printed text? I have never done a project by graph. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me encanta este borde, es precioso. Gracias.

    ReplyDelete