Thursday, November 21, 2013

Newborn Hat to Match the Dress


I made a newborn hat to match the dress from my previous post. I used the same shells as the ones used in the dress. The hat turned out stretchy and very soft. Now if made a pair of baby booties, I would have a lovely baby girl gift set.






This pattern is my original design. It cannot be posted on other sites or distributed in any other form. If you would like to share this pattern, you can post ONE image on your site with the link to my original post. You can use this pattern to make items for personal use or for sale. If you sell finished items from this pattern, you must give design credit to Lacy Crochet blog (lacycrochet.blogspot.com). Please, respect my work. Thank you!

Measurements: 13 inches in circumference, 5 inches in height

Materials:

Bernat Softee Baby yarn

US hook G/6

Gauge: 3 first rounds measure 3.75 inches

Shell: (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) worked all in same space.

V-stitch: (dc, ch 1, dc) worked all in same space or stitch.

Ch 5, join with sl st into ring.

Round 1: Ch 4, *dc in ring, ch 1* 11 times. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-4.

Round 2: Sl st into next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space, V-st in each ch-1 space around. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-4.

Round 3:  Sl st into next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space, V-st into next space between two V-st of previous round, *V-st into next 2 V-st, V-st into next space between two V-st of previous round* 5 times, V-st into next V-st. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-4.

Round 4: Sl st into next ch-1 space, ch 4, dc in same ch-1 space, V-st in each V-st around. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-4.

Round 5: Sl st into next ch-1 space, ch 3, (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in same ch-1 space, skip next V-st, *shell in next V-st, skip next V-st* around. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.

Round 6: Sl st to next ch-2 space, ch 3, (dc, ch 2, 2 dc) all in same ch-2 space, ch 1, *shell over next shell, ch 1* around. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.

Rounds 7-9 same as Round 6.

Round 10: Sl st to next ch-2 space, ch 3, 4 dc in same space, sc in next ch-1 space, *5 dc in next shell, sc in next ch-1 space* around. Join with sl st into 3rd ch of beginning ch-3. 
Fasten off.



More baby beanie patterns from my shop:









18 comments:

  1. This is going to be such a sweet present.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. que bonito y delicado, te ha quedado un gorrito precioso y super dulce!! un besito.maria:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful and yes booties would be lovely, maybe with the same shell pattern around the top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely !
    Have a nice weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Śliczna czapeczka!!! Pozdrawiam serdecznie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ольга, красивая шапка в комплект для новорожденного!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the measurement early on! I have a tough time with some items. Last hat was 3" tall and 12" around! Infant size, of course. Another hat was supposed to fit a 10 YO and it fit my 24" head!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far so good! YEA! The only problem I have reading the problem is row 10. I believe I should have 9 shells in that row. If I DC in the shells and SC in the CH1 space, wouldn't I have 18 stitches in the last row? It looks like there are several stitches edging each shell.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress called for 5 dc in each shell ...... I am going to finish mine that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just a question! I made this, and it is just a few inches to small...if i want to make it bigger, should i repeat row 4 again, and add an extra row 6?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Olga! Could you help me, please? I'm stuck in round 3, when I get to the end and I have to slip stitch to join my work, there's a huge gap between the V-st and the initial four chains. I got 24 sts in round 1, 36 sts in round 2 and 41 sts in round 3, is this right? I tried going on despite the gap but found trouble again in the following rounds. Can you see what I did wrong? Could you please say how many stitches are we supposed to have at the end of each round? Thank you very much. Marisol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have this finished hat anymore. I will have to make it again to figure out that problem. I'll try to do it soon.

      Delete
  12. Row 10 made the edge really, really tight. That hat was practically a ball. I frogged it out and left the hat at 9 rows. I could have shelled into the V stitch, but I took the lazy way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh oh, my bad. There must be 5 dc in each shell.

      Thank you so much for letting me know. I'll fix it in the pattern.

      Delete
  13. I'm fairly new to crocheting and I am attempting to make this adorable hat. My only issue is round 3. It says to V stitch into next space between two v stitch of previous round, *V-st into next 2 V st into next space between two V-st of previous round* 5 times. I know that the * is repeat but to me it sounds like it's saying the same thing. Please help!! I am trying to make this hat for a friend who is having a baby girl next month. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosalie,

      so in Round 3 you need to make increases, and you must alternate making V-st INTO each of 2 V-st of previous round, plus making additional V-st IN BETWEEN 2 V-st of previous round.

      I'm not sure if this explanation makes sense.

      You can email me a closeup photo of your work, and I can try to mark it on your photo how the V-st should be made.

      Delete