Friday, September 15, 2017

Lacy Pineapple Bookmark Free Crochet Pattern


I don't know why, but I can no longer stick with reading the old-fashioned way, you know, when you have an actual paper book! The last book I checked out from my local library, I returned half-read. 





I don't like that! Reading used to be a great way to relax and escape the world for me. I want to go back to it. I want to start reading again.





I made myself a new crochet bookmark. Isn't it pretty? 

I'll keep it on my dresser as a decoration and a reminder of how pleasant and calming reading can be. And hopefully, I will be using it in a book soon!





Pineapple Bookmark Free Crochet Pattern
Olga Poltava © September, 2017


Skill Level: Beginner
Measurements: about 12 inches long, 3 inches wide

Materials:

Steel hook 1.25 mm
Crochet cotton thread size 10, such as Aunt Lydia's, small amount

Gauge: not very important, but the tighter you crochet, the better your bookmark will look

Abbreviations:

ch: chain
dc: double crochet
sl st: slip stitch
dc3-tog: 3 double crochet finished together (also known as dc 3 cluster)
* * instructions between asterisks should be repeated as many times as stated  

Ch 4.
Row 1: dc in 4th ch from hook (skipped 3 ch count as 1st dc), (3 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in same 4th ch from hook; turn. 

Rows 2-16: sl st to ch-2 space, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), (3 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in same ch-2 space; turn. (one shell).

Row 17: sl st to ch-2 space, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in same ch-2 space; turn. (double shell).

Row 18: sl st to ch-2 space, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), (3 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in same ch-2 space, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in next ch-2 space; turn. (two shells).

Row 19: sl st to ch-2 space, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), (3 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in same ch-2 space (beginning shell made), dc in space between two shells of previous row, (4 dc, ch 2, 4 dc) all in next ch-2 space (ending shell made); turn. (two shells and 1 dc between them).

Row 20: beginning shell, (dc, ch 1, dc) all in dc that was made in between shells of previous row, ending shell, turn.

Row 21: beginning shell, (dc, ch 3, dc) all in next ch-1 space, ending shell, turn.

Row 22: beginning shell, 9 dc in next ch-3 space, ending shell, turn.

Row 23-24: beginning shell, dc in 1st dc of dc-9 group, *ch 1, dc in next dc* eight times, ending shell, turn.

Row 25: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-1 space, *ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-1 space* eight times, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 26: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between 1st and 2nd clusters, *ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-2 space* six times, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 27 beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between 1st and 2nd clusters, *ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-2 space* five times, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 28: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between 1st and 2nd clusters, *ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-2 space* four times, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 29: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between 1st and 2nd clusters, *ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-2 space* three times, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 30: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between 1st and 2nd clusters, *ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-2 space* two times, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 31: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between 1st and 2nd clusters, ch 2, dc3-tog in next ch-2 space, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 32: beginning shell, ch 2, dc3-tog in ch-2 space between two clusters, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 33: beginning shell, ch 2, ending shell, turn.

Row 34: sl st to ch-2 space, ch 3, 3 dc in same ch-2 space,  4 dc in ch-2 space of next shell. Fasten off. 

I'm linking this post to
Craft Schooling Sunday @ Crative Jewish Mom

Clever Chicks Blog Hop at The Chicken Chick
The Real Crafty Link Party at Keep It Real
Link Your Stuff @ Annamarie's Haakblog

15 comments:

  1. Lovely !
    Have a nice weekend !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS lovely and thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so elegant and pretty. I started on one a couple months ago but have yet to finish it. Seeing your bookmark made me think of it. I really need to pull it out and finish it.
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Olga, I love reading books and this bookmark would be just perfect! These would even make great gifts for book lovers.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely ...with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your pretty crochet bookmark at our Cooking and Crafting with J&J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Olga! This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I love reading as well, it is one of my great pleasures.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, how pretty it is! ♥ A wonderful design, Olga, thanks for sharing. I must keep this in mind for Christmas, it would be great addition for a book gift. About reading... I always read a lot but lately spent too much reading time with a special game on my tablet (very untypical because normally I'm no gamer at all). Just some days ago I restarted to read in bed in the evening - very relaxing :-). Hugs & a good start in the new week! Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi.. Great pattern thank you for sharing it.
    I wanted to let you know that there is an error in Row 20. There is no ch1 space from Row 19 to put the (dc, ch1, dc) in. Those stitches need to go in the dc from Row 19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also a mistake in Row 34... it should say: sl st to ch-2 space, ch 3, 3 dc in same ch-2 space, 4 dc in ch-2 space of next shell. Fasten off.

      Delete
    2. Hi, thank you so much for catching my mistakes. You are absolutely right. I fixed them in the pattern. Again, thank you!

      Delete
    3. You are most welcome. I love the pattern and am well aware of the difficulties or typing out a pattern.

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern. I cannot wait to crochet this bookmark and use it in my books. Makes me think of reading a good book while lying on a hammock.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is fine until I get to row 20, how do I get to the the center of the shells to crochet in the double crochet in the center of the previous roll?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same way you did in the previous row, by slip stitching to ch-2 space.
      I dropped this part in Row 20 and the following rows simply because it became redundant and I simply stated: beginning shell.

      Delete