Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Swirl and Pineapples Doily, Free Crochet Pattern by Olga Poltava




Thank you so much for all of your kind comments on my previous pineapple doily

I've been bitten by a crochet doily bug, or maybe I've been blessed with inspiration. I'm quite satisfied (read proud) with myself for creating another doily. 

This doily involved a lot of frogging. And I mean A LOT, but I didn't give up!

And now I'm so pleased with the final result!



I was thinking about putting this pattern for sale in my shop, but then I changed my mind.
This is the Holiday Season, one of the most magical times of the year. It's time for giving and being grateful!

I'm so grateful for my readers and followers of my blog. I'm grateful for my customers who support my work by buying my patterns. I'm grateful for the friends I've made through blogging. I'm so grateful for all of you!

This is one of my best patterns so far, and I'm gladly gifting it to anyone who would like to make this doily! 




This is a very long pattern (over 30 rounds), so I'm breaking it into two posts. I will post the second part of the pattern in my next post. 



Swirl and Pineapples Doily Crochet Pattern
Olga Poltava © December, 2017
This pattern is my original design and it cannot be distributed in any form. You are welcome to make items for sale or personal use from this pattern. This pattern is written using US crochet terminology. 

Skill Level: Advanced
Measurements: about 19 inches across
Materials:
Steel hook 1.5 mm
Crochet cotton thread size 10, about 360 yards 

Abbreviations:
ch: chain
dc: double crochet
tr: treble crochet
dc2-tog: 2 double crochet finished together (also known as dc 2 decrease)
dc3-tog: 3 double crochet finished together (also known as dc 3 decrease)
dc4-tog: 4 double crochet finished together (also known as dc 4 decrease)
sl: slip stitch 
* * instructions between asterisks should be repeated as many times as there are stitches to accommodate them.
{ } instructions within brackets should be repeated as many times as stated.



Ch 7, join with sl st in ring. 

Round 1: ch 3 (counts as 1st dc here and throughout), 23 dc in ring; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-3. (24 dc)

Round 2: ch 2, dc-2 tog over next 2 dc (counts as 1st dc3-tog), ch 4, *dc3-tog over next 3 dc, ch 4* around; join to 1st dc3-tog. 

Round 3: sl st in next ch-space, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), 4 dc in same ch-space, ch 3, *5 dc in next ch-space, ch 3* around; join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch-3.

Round 4: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 5: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 6: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 6 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 7: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 7 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 8: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 7 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 9: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 8 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 9 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 10: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 9 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 10 dc, 2 dc in 1st ch of next ch-3, ch 3* around; join.

Round 11: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 10 dc, ch 3, sc in next ch-space, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 11 dc, ch 3, sc in next ch-space, ch 3* around; join.

Round 12: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 9 dc, ch 3, {sc in next ch-space, ch 3} twice, *skip next dc, dc in next 10 dc, ch 3, {sc in next ch-space, ch 3} twice* around; join.

Round 13: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 8 dc, ch 3, sc in next ch-space, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in 2nd ch of next ch-3 (shell made), sc in next ch-space, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 9 dc, ch 3, sc in next ch-space, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in 2nd ch of next ch-3, sc in next ch-space, ch 3* around; join.

Round 14: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 7 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 8 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3* around; join.

Round 15: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 6 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in 1st ch-2 space of the shell, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in 2nd ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 7 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in 1st ch-2 space of the shell, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in 2nd ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3* around; join.

Round 16: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 5 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 6 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3* around; join.

Round 17: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 4 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 5, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 5 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 5, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3* around; join. 


Round 18: sl st in next dc, ch 3, dc in next 3 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, (dc, ch 3, dc) all in 3rd ch of next ch-5, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, *skip next dc, dc in next 4 dc, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3, (dc, ch 3, dc) all in 3rd ch of next ch-5, ch 3, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) all in ch-2 space of the shell, ch 3* around; join.



Click here for part 2 of the pattern (it's a very long pattern, so I broke it into two parts). 


I'm linking this post to 



19 comments:

  1. That's a lovely doily, Olga:) Thanks for sharing ! Those tulips look beautiful. Are those from your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on this beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning!!! Thank you giving this beautiful pattern to your readers. : )

    May you have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicate, stunning, absolutely divine doily!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a most beautiful pattern doily. So kind of you to share the pattern! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found it. It is beautiful, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty, thank you for the free pattern. I'm trying to make this, I'm having trouble getting it to lay flat? But seams I have correct amount of stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, which round are you at? Mine was a bit ruffled too, but once I blocked it, it was perfectly flat. If you can send me a close-up picture, I could try to help.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. I just made it. Beautiful, easy to follow, and free!!. It was a little ruffed but after blocking came out flat. Thanks for the pattern Olga..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Thank you for the comment! :)
      I'd love to see a picture of your doily. Are you on Ravelry? Do you add your projects there?
      Thanks again and happy crocheting! :)

      Delete
    2. You can search at facebook under my name, Ruth del Valle (from Chile), I have it as my profile picture!!, and now I am doing my 3rd one for a friend, this time in white. Can´t say how much I love it Thanks again

      Delete
  9. I started this doily and its not laying flat,so i frogged few rows.Now i will continue,since it will be flat after blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am up to R13, and you say in your instructions to do the shell in the 3rd ch of the chain 3... do you mean the middle ch space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yes, you are right, that's a mistake/typo on my part, it should be 2nd (middle) chain.
      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  11. i have an idea that i can't seem to execute. maybe you could try? i am trying to survive cancer and have lost most of my hair to radiation and chemo. there's no telling how much my grow back. i am trying to create a lacy cap in cotton. soft and cool (florida) my vision is alternating scallops where each row of scallops begins in the center of the last rows scallop and bridges the space to the center of the next last row scallop then of course there is the decrease problem for the crown. any ideas or tips? eneurian@myself.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a best understanding pattern I have done u explain it to great detail the only thing it would be easier to read if the rows were separated but that may be how my phone looks at but it's a great pattern thank u

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this pattern. I have made several of your patterns over the years. I since have been diagnosed with essential tremer & unable to crochet any longer. I miss crocheting.
    I still enjoy your web site & see the beautiful patterns. Thank you for sharing yourself in this way. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure would like to make this. But until I get the 2nd portion, I will not start it just in case I never get the 2nd portion. Please let me know when it is available.
    Colette

    ReplyDelete