Friday, February 22, 2019

Anastasia Square Doily, My New Crochet Design


On the New Year 2018, I made a resolution to design 100 doilies! 

I haven't fulfilled my resolution in one year, but I continue working on it. 

This is my doily design number 18! 


Until now I was designing round doilies, but I wanted to try something different! 

So I made a square doily! 

My challenge was to make it look like a doily, not just a square crochet motif. 

Crochet square motives usually look like they need to be connected to form a bigger piece. A crochet motif has an unfinished look on its own. 

But a square doily should look complete on its own. I think my Anastasia doily does!


There aren't any fancy or complicated stitches in this pattern; however, I wouldn't recommend it to beginners! 

There are lots of repeating instructions within repeating instructions, which make the pattern long and complicated. 

But I did try to make it as detailed as possible, and I included lots of explanatory notes, as well as pictures for visual help. 


The pattern is written using the US crochet terminology.

Skill Level: Intermediate 

Measurements: about 13 inches square

Materials: steel hook 1.5 mm; crochet cotton thread size 10, about 300 yards

My pattern is available in my Etsy and Ravelry shops: 




Also, did you know that I started a YouTube channel? I even made one video in Russian, and plan to make one in Spanish! Isn't that cool? :) 




8 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Olga! I have always really loved square doilies!!!
    I should make this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely Olga and so nice to see a square doily, something different. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a square doily from one of Mom's vintage books that cost 10 cents long ago. It came out lovely and is different. This one looks more dainty and feminine so I've already purchased it! I'm working on 4 round and 1 large oval pineapple set from one of Mom's old books so it will be awhile before I can make this one but I'm looking forward to it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this! It must feel very special to be making doilies from your Mom's book. And thank you for purchasing my pattern and for supporting me as an independent crochet designer. I hope you will enjoy making this doily!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely exquisite, dear! 💕 🍃🌸🍃

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was looking for a square doily pattern a month or 2 back. There just wasnt much out there. Like you said they just looked like larger granny squares. This one is brilliant. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very pretty square doily-definitely looks like a doily and not a motif!

    ReplyDelete