Monday, February 11, 2013

Lacy Baby Blanket Tutorial, Step 1


I have made a detailed tutorial for the Lacy Baby Blanket, which is the most popular item on my blog. The tutorial consists of several steps (nine to be exact) as it is too big a project to fit into one post.


I believe even beginning crocheters can make this blanket following my tutorial (as long as you are familiar with basic crochet stitches).


So if you’d like to make this blanket with me, print out the pattern, gather your supplies and let’s begin!




In this step we get started by making a chain and crocheting the first row of the pattern.


Ch 146 loosely.



Keep your printed-out pattern at hand and refer to it as often as you need to.


We start the first row by making 3 dc in sixth ch from hook (note that the chain on the hook doesn’t count). Then we skip 4 chains and make 3 dc in the next chain. See the picture below.



Now we are going to work the instructions from * to second *, which read:


*ch 3, skip 2 ch, sc in next ch, ch 3, skip 2 ch, 3 dc in next ch, skip 4 ch, 3 dc in next ch*



We need to repeat working the instructions from * to second * across. That will be 12 times in total.


The picture below shows the instructions from * to second *  worked two times. 



Once you have repeated the instructions from * to second * 3-4 times, you probably will be able to memorize them and won’t need to look at the pattern.


When you have crocheted these instructions 12 times, you will see that you have 3 ch left. See picture below.



We are going to finish the row following the instructions after second *, which read:


sk 2 ch, dc in last ch


And make ch 2 for turning.



The first row of our blanket is finished!


If you stretch it on a surface, you should see 13 pattern repeats. Below, I show a picture of three pattern repeats to give you an idea of what I mean.



If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments below.

I'll post Step 2 next week.

31 comments:

  1. I need to get yarn! I would love to follow along! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great work. Imho I would add a small picture at the beginning, before step 1.good luck Caroline in VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I will be giving it a whirl soon!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. que bonita queda, parece encaje!! un besito.maria :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola amiga este es un precioso modelo super delicado y con el color que elegiste mas aún buena idea y muy generosa por tu paso a paso besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this step by step tutorial! I would love to join in. Let me find a perfect yarn and I will get back to you. :)
    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to step 2! I tried row 4 several times and just can't get it...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great tutorial! I have recently taken up crocheting again after more than 30 years, and I've struggled reading patterns.

    Thanks for following me, I'm following back :)
    hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a beginner but I would love to try this. I am in the UK but I am assuming the pattern is written in US stitches/terminology
    Thanks for sharing all your patterns

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, yes I write my patterns using US crochet terminology as I live in California. I hope you will be able to figure out this pattern.

      Delete
  10. How much yarn do you need for this blanket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Snuggly Wuggly Big by Loops & Threads, 1 ball (1263 yds/1154 m)

      Delete
  11. Do you crochet this pattern pretty tight? Or loosely? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made the blanket but the final row makes no sense! I did the crab stitches but how do you add a DC on top of a crab stitch without covering up the crab stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I want to make a smaller blanket, how many chains should I decrease from 146? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where can i find your tutorial for step 2?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The rest of the blanket in pictures please ,thx in advance

    ReplyDelete
  16. At end of first row I'm left with 5 ch instead of 3. How to remedy easily without taking all out. I do have 12 of pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should have 13 pattern at the end plus a double crochet in the last chain. I have had to remove chain stitches before and it's quite easy really. You simply untie the knot that you first made to begin chaining and one by one remove the unwanted chains. Once you have removed them you simply tighten up the knot again.

      Delete
    2. you should have 13 pattern at the end plus a double crochet in the last chain. I have had to remove chain stitches before and it's quite easy really. You simply untie the knot that you first made to begin chaining and one by one remove the unwanted chains. Once you have removed them you simply tighten up the knot again.

      Delete
  17. Also, how can you skip 4 dc in row 2 (after you chain and turn) when there isn't 4 dc in a row?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Olga, you haven't been replying since July 2013. Hope you are still active in this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is Step Two coming soon? I hope so, excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all are available here:

      http://lacycrochet.blogspot.com/search/label/Lacy%20Baby%20Blanket%20Tutorial

      Delete
  20. If I wanted to make the blanket bigger (adult sized) but follow the same pattern, what would the multiple for the starting chain need to be?

    ReplyDelete
  21. where do I find the tutorial of step 2 and the rest?

    ReplyDelete
  22. If it doesn't end up with the right pattern at the end of the first row does it have to be taken all out?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am stuck on row 4 help please?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello, love this baby blanket, it's a treasur and thanks for the patten and careful instructions. I'm unable to find the crochet hook size recommended please? Hope you have lots of pleasure from making and sharing this, Kate

    ReplyDelete