Sunday, May 19, 2013

Crochet Tablecloth Update



I can’t believe I’ve been working on this tablecloth for a year now! But finally I’m getting towards the end. I only need to crochet a couple more square motifs!

I already started blocking my motifs. I thought it would be easier to block them separately and then join together rather than blocking the entire big piece.

I don’t use the fancy blocking technique with pins and padded surface. What I do is I wet the motif, gently squeeze the access water, put it on a towel, and smooth and straighten it. Once the motif dries, it looks much better than it did before.



I also started joining the motifs together. This job is even more tedious and boring than crocheting the motifs!

So far I only joined four motifs, but I must tell you I had to redo it twice.

The first time, I noticed that one of the motifs was joined with the wrong side up. So I had to undo it. The second time, I missed one stitch and as the result, the meshes weren’t matching. So I had to undo it again. That was quite frustrating, but at last all the four motifs were joined correctly. By the way, I use slip stitch on the wrong side to join the motifs since I don’t really know of any other way of joining them.



It looks really nice so far. Once all the motifs are joined, I'll start working on the trim (still sounds like a lot of work). Then I will only need to iron the tablecloth (especially the seams) and it will be done!





20 comments:

  1. Very nice - well done! It does look like a lot of work, but the result will be well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao Olga
    Hai scelto un motivo molto bello ... e fra poco hai un capolavoro unico! Complimenti!
    Bye, bye Elli

    ReplyDelete
  3. It may be a lot of work, may be tedious, but what a beauty. An heirloom to be treasured forever. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. çok güzel ellerinize sağlık

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. So beautiful. Is there anything you can not do?
    Hugs for you clever crocheter

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely beautiful!!!
    It's like it's the sister of my tablecloth!!!
    Check http://marinaslifefamily.blogspot.be/2012/06/blog-post_19.html
    I did the same job in the end and I can say I had a greati agony to finish it as soon as I could! I had an accident too and I had to crochet one more piece the last minute!!! BUT I washed it in the end (using a towel like you) because this way it's becoming one and then I'm ironing it!
    I'm waiting to see it finished!!! And as we say in Greece: "God bless your hands!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful, Olga! A real treasure and something you can pass down someday. So worth all the tedious work. You are very gifted. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table cloth looks very beautiful, Olga!! :)It is a big project. I too prefer crocheting method for joining squares, but recently I decided that if I plan to join from back with a slip stitch, then it is much faster and easier to sew . If I want to join from the front to show the lines, then, of course, I crochet them. Not always I follow these methods, I keep changing my mind based on my mood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautifull tablecloth! So fine work!
    Greetings, Corine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ! Very promessing....
    Have a nice week.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous. I think I have this pattern. I think I also would crochet as you go..It may not look as perfect as this one does though..Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful, you have so much patience, I could never under take such an intricate project.
    hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. Olga,
    This is so beautiful. I love what you have done. I have never had the patience for filet.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woow!! That's stunning ♥. And what a work, hats off!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The motifs are pretty, the tablecloth would be a treasure once you are done with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its v.beautiful Olga... Hats off to ur patience.

    luv
    Moushumi

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such pretty work. Well done. Your patience has paid off! It looks great. M

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ольга, красивые мотивы и скатерть должна получиться симпатичной. Удачного Вам завершения работы!

    ReplyDelete