Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Crochet Green Baby Blanket, free pattern




Another baby blanket is ready!





I borrowed the Teddy Bear and small chair for the pictures from my youngest son. Too bad he is too old (he’s 2 years old now) to be wrapped in this darling baby afghan.  



I tried to do my best to write the pattern, but mistakes and typos are possible. I didn’t have anyone proof-read or test the pattern. If something doesn’t make sense, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments or in an e-mail.

I would rate the skill level for this blanket as advanced. In this pattern I used 2-dc clusters (two unfinished dc made in same space, then finished together) as well as 2dctog (two unfinished dc made in two different spaces, then finished together). The ends of rows are somewhat challenging too. 

In case you would like to use this stitch pattern for another project, it’s a multiple of 6, plus 2.  



This pattern is my original design. It cannot be posted on other sites or distributed in any other form. If you would like to share this pattern, you can post ONE image on your site with the link to my original post. You can use this pattern to make items for personal use or for sale. If you sell finished items from this pattern, you must give design credit to Lacy Crochet blog (lacycrochet.blogspot.com). Please, respect my work. Thank you!


Finished Size: approximately 38 inch (96.5 cm) square



Snuggly Wuggly Big by Loops and Threads, 1 ball (1263 yards/1154 m)


US hook G/6



Ch 128 loosely.



Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, *ch 1, skip 2 ch, (dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog) all in next ch, ch 1, skip next 2 ch, sc in next ch* across. Ch 3, turn.



Note: After you make (dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog) all in one ch, the next ch may become very small and hardly visible. So make sure you are skipping 2 ch and not 3!

When Row 1 is finished you must have 18 pattern repeats!



Row 2: dc in next ch-1 space, *ch 1, sc in next ch-1 space, ch 3, sc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, dc2-tog over next two ch-1 spaces* across; end with ch 1, dc2-tog over next ch-1 space and last sc. Ch 2, turn.



Row 3: (dc, ch 1, dc2-tog) all in same beginning space, *ch 1, sc in next ch-3 space, ch 1, (dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog) all in next dc2-tog* across; end with ch 1, (dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog) all in space between last 2 dc. Ch 1, turn.



Row 4: sc in first stitch, *sc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, dc2-tog over next two ch-1 spaces, ch 1, sc in next ch-1 space, ch 3* across; end with sc in next ch-1 space, sc in last dc. Ch 1, turn.



Row 5: sc in same beginning space, *ch 1, (dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog, ch 1, dc2-tog) all in next dc2-tog, ch 1, sc in next ch-3 space* across; end with sc in last sc. Ch 3, turn.



Repeat Row 2 – Row 5 until you have made 84 rows in total. You must end with Row 4.



Trim



First Round:



Working in last row: hdc in same beginning space, ch 1, skip next sc, *hdc in next dc2-tog, ch 1, hdc in next ch-1 space, ch 1, hdc in next ch-3 space, ch 1, hdc in next ch-1 space, ch 1* across; end with {ch 1, hdc} 3 times in corner space.



Working in end of rows: *ch 1, hdc* in each end of row across; {ch 1, hdc} 3 times in corner space.



Working in original chain: *ch 1, hdc in next ch-space, ch 1, hdc in space where clusters were made, ch 1, hdc in next space where sc was made* across; {ch 1, hdc } 3 times in corner space.



Working in end of rows: *ch 1, hdc* in each end of row across; {ch 1, hdc} 2 times in corner space, ch 1, sl st to join round.



Second Round:



Ch 3, *dc in next ch-1 space, dc in next hdc* around, making 3 dc in each corner.

Fasten off.



More baby blanket patterns from my shop: 




    



37 comments:

  1. Миленькое, уютное одеяльце! Цвет такой нежненький...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Olga fantástico me encanta en verde agua tan delicado, a mi siempre me encargan en blanco o celeste o rosa y los otros colores quedan olvidados ☺...y también quedan perfecto como este, bella mantilla besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brings back memories. I crochet a blanklet that was similar to this one for our son when he was born. I passed it down to one of my cousins when she had her son. She thought she could not have kids. She still has the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Complimenti, la copertina è bellissima ... e chi lo riceve è sicuramente contenta!
    Bye, bye Elli

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so quick to whip out this lovely baby blanket. I really like the green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful baby blanket,lovely green color!!!
    Greetings.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, and wow I love this baby blanket! The stitch is so pretty and I love the color yarn that you chose.
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful, I love the colour, thank you for sharing the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That little bear looks so sweet cuddled up with your blanket. It's so pretty! Love all the patterns you share. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love handmade baby blankets. What a sweet color also. Thanks for sharing this at TTF.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a lovely blanket with lovely color!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the lovely pattern! I LOVE that green!

    ((Hugs))
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ольга, какое красивое детское одеяло и узор и цвет!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely blanket, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, and oh so simple, thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling sunday! I may just have to give this one a try sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pattern! At the end of the first row, is the last st in the last chain? I think I may have made a mistake along the way..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, at the end of the first row, the last sc should be made into last chain.

      Delete
  17. Row 1: please explain how the 2dc-cluster works? How do I keep it all in the same stitch? :-)
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I made a post about it: http://lacycrochet.blogspot.com/2013/09/green-baby-blanket-how-to-make-2-dc.html

      Delete
  18. Wow realy blanket is so so beautiful .I like it.

    crochet baby hats

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I love this colour and was just wondering what the colour was called? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely beautiful! What stitch did you end with on the second row. Mine ended with a 2dctogether, so just making sure of any mistakes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. If it's a pattern of 6 plus 2 how do you get it to come out to 18 pattern repeats when you chain 128 to start with? I keep coming up with 21 both when I crochet it and when I try and figure it out by numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started this pattern today and also end up with 21 pattern repeats when I crochet the first
      row, and working out the math.
      The only way I can figure out how to get 18 pattern repeats with 128 chain stitches is if it's a pattern of 7 plus 2 (7*18 +2 =128). If you ignore the "note" in the directions after row 1, and skip 3 chains instead of 2 after each set of multiple 2-dc clusters you end up with a pattern of 7. This gives you 18 pattern repeats on 128 chain stitches.

      Delete
    2. Olga, I'm coming up with this same issue. 21 pattern repeats. Skip two chains after the pattern, sc, then skip two more chains, then start pattern again. I also ended my last sc in the second to last chain from the original chain. I'm thinking that's not right, but I tried to follow the pattern exactly. Rachel and Erica, did you finish the pattern even with the 21 pattern repeats? Or did you go back and do it as a pattern of 7 like Erica said?

      Delete
  22. Glad I wasn't the only one who came up with it this way. Hopefully it will be correctly noted soon.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Will it curl/spiral the first few rounds or am i messing up some where?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this pattern, and have crocheted 4 rows. I'm not sure my 3rd and 4th rows are correct, though. At the beginning of each row, your instructions say to start in 'the same beginning space'. Is this first work done BEFORE the 1st ch 1 stitch? Do I work inside the previous row's last stitch? I hope this makes sense. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, yes, you would need to work into the last stitch of the previous row.

      Delete
  25. Hi there, thanks for the pattern, I love it. Question on row one, is it 1 cluster than chain than 1 cluster or 2 cluster(s) chain 2 cluster (2) . I did just one cluster and mine is looking like a boring shell patter so not sure I'm doing it correctly. I've worked through row 2 to see but it looks nothing like this pretty blanket here. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah,
      I'm sorry for getting back to you just now. I was away visiting my parents, and they don't have internet.

      I just edited this pattern changing "2-dc cluster" to dc2-tog. Basically, it's the same stitch, but I think dc2-tog notation is easier to understand and commonly used in crochet patterns.
      I wrote this pattern back in 2013, when I was just beginning and learning how to write patterns. No wonder it's so confusing.

      To answer your question, yes, it should be 1 chain in between clusters. So it goes like this: cluster (or dc2-tog), ch 1, cluster (dc2-tog), ch 1, cluster (dc2-tog).

      I hope this makes sense. Let me know if any other parts of the pattern are confusing.

      Delete
  26. I will be doing my 3rd blanket with your patterns and I just love how they feel and look. Thank you Olga for sharing your nice patterns :)

    ReplyDelete