Friday, September 11, 2015

Lacy Vintage Bonnet, Free Crochet Pattern






I made this bonnet following a vintage pattern from Crochet for Your Baby and Knit Too! Star Baby Book 130 by American Thread Company, 1956.



I used a small amount of leftover category 1 yarn from my stash. I'm not sure what size hook I used. I just went alone with a steel hook that felt comfortable for this yarn. It's a vintage hook, and all it says on it is "Boye 1", and on the other side "U.S.A. 10 cents".

The finished size in the original pattern is 6 months, but my bonnet came out about the size 0-3 months. It fits my 20 inch doll perfectly. 


I post the pattern exactly as it appears in the original publication. However, I added a few notes of mine. 
In third rounds all it says is to increase 6 dc. So in green font in parenthesis, I wrote how exactly I made my increases.
Also I started my sixth round with a chain; I also indicated that in green font.

Otherwise, the pattern was easy to follow and I made my bonnet in one evening.   




Chain (ch) 4, join to form a ring, ch 3 [counts as 1 double crochet (d c)], 13 d c in ring, join.

2nd Row. Ch 3, d c in same space, * 2 d c in next d c, repeat from * all around, join in 3rd stitch (st) of ch (28 d c).

3rd Row. Ch 3 and working in d c, increase 6 d c evenly spaced (34 d c). (ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, 2 dc in next dc, *dc in next 3 dc, 2 dc in next dc* 5 times, dc in last 4 dc)

4th Row. Ch 3, d c in same space, ch 1, 2 d c in same space, * skip 1 d c, 2 d c in next d c, ch 1, 2 d c in same space (shell), repeat from * all around, join in 3rd st of ch (17 shells).

5th Row. Slip stitch (sl st) in ch 1 space, ch 3, d c in same space, ch 1, 2 d c in same space, * 2 d c in next ch 1 space, ch 1, 2 d c in same space, repeat from * all around, join.

6th Row. (ch 1) 1 single crochet (s c) in same space, 1 s c in each of the next 7 d c, ch 3, shell in center of next shell, * shell in center of next shell, repeat from * 11 times (13 shells), ch 3, skip 2 d c, s c in next d c, 1 s c in each of the next 7 d c, do not join, place a marker at beginning of each row.

7th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 8 s c, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, * shell in next shell, repeat from * 12 times, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, 1 s c in each of next 8 s c.

8th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 10 s c, ch 3, * shell in next shell, repeat from * 12 times, ch 3, 1 s c in each remaining 10 s c.

9th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 10 s c, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, ch 3, * shell in next shell, repeat from * 12 times, ch 3, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, 1 s c in each remaining 10 s c.

10th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 12 s c, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, ch 3, * shell in next shell, repeat from * 12 times, ch 3, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, 1 s c in each remaining 12 s c.

11th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 14 s c, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, ch 3, * shell in next shell, repeat from * 12 times, ch 3, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, 1 s c in each remaining 14 s c.

12th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 16 s c, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, ch 3, * 3 d c in center of next shell, ch 1, 3 d c in same shell, s c between shells, repeat from * 12 times, ch 3, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, 1 s c in each remaining 16 s c.


13th Row. 1 s c in each of the next 18 s c, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, ch 3, * 3 d c, ch 1, 3 d c (shell) in center of next shell, ch 2, s c in s c between shells, ch 2, repeat from * 12 times but ending with ch 3, 2 s c over next ch 3 loop, 1 s c in each remaining 18 s c, join, cut yarn. Lace ribbon through shells of 11th row. Trim with ribbon rosettes as illustrated.







30 comments:

  1. Oh, this is such a lovely pattern!! Do you think it would be easy to enlarge? With a larger hook? Thank you for sharing so many unique and beautiful patterns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yes, a larger hook and slightly heavier yarn should work to make a bigger size.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sarah
      I enlarged mine with worsted weight yarn and 5.00 mm hook...I got a 6 month size. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. How pretty!! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In rows 6-11 when the directions say to "shell in next shell," does that mean the shell directly next to where your working yarn is, or do you skip a shell? My bonnet isn't curving in. It isn't flat, but it just seems like I'm messing something up. I'm having a lot of trouble with the instructions that cover the back, base of the bonnet where it will sit on the neck. I'd appreciate any help, tips, or advice you can give. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe if you could post some additional pictures of the bonnet from different angles, I could figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I know it's been a while since your post, I just found this pattern and I got lost at Row 6 too.

      In next shell is just the next shell you come across. You've been doing shells since Row 4, so it's just continuing shells in shells. At least that's why I think. This is my second crochet project! I'll post pictures when I'm done with the ribbon part!

      Delete
    2. Ok... I was thinking there may be a turn somewhere but I went back and when it says to sc in double crochet...I was sc in all of the stitches but when I sc in only the dc and then sc in next 8 it brings me right where I need to be.

      Delete
  5. What size hook and yarn would you compare with what you used?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What size hook and yarn would you compare with what you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hook size around 2-2.5 mm; the yarn is probably category 1, fingering.

      Delete
  7. hi could you post a picture of the back of this bonnet, I've got a littke confused and work best with pictures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mine turned out so pretty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am stuck on round 6. Do you have any suggestions or do videos by any chance?

      Delete
    2. I don't have videos. But what exactly is confusing in Round 6? It's been a while since I made this bonnet, but perhaps I can still help.

      Delete
    3. Actually I got it and it's beautiful! It's too big for my 3 month old. Any tips on how to make another with smaller measurements?

      Delete
    4. The only thing I can think of is using lighter yarn and a smaller size hook.

      Delete
  9. 8th row after the second chain 3, should there be skip 2 double crochet and then single crochet 10? When I skip 2 dale crochet it brings me evenly to the end of row.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had no problems with mine! It turned out wonderful! Thanks for sharing Olga!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got confused at row 6 as well, Im an experienced crocheter and for the life of me the instructions are not clear and have me stumped... I'm assuming I must turn at the end of row 6....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Finally figured it out. I worked in the round, not turning my work, even though I tried that, but after 3 attempts I had to go with 15 shells in round 6, 2 shells were used to addon the single crochets(13 shells was what was throwing me off and I added a chain 3 only at the beginning and end of each row at round 7. I simply increased base of neck by doing a single crocheting at the top of the double crochet in previous shell at the beginning and end through rounds 8-13... hope that makes sense to future crocheters. I wish I could show you a pic of how the base of neck looks like, cause it would help.. cute bonnet reminds of a pioneer days baby hat

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! And thank you for your helpful pattern notes! I,too, love the vintage pioneer bonnets -- especially the fancyones the ladies wore in westerns w silk fabric, flowers, feathers, and ribbons. They often had this tipped-back top appearance to show off a lady's hair a little.
    Anyway, I hope you will be adding this kand your enhance instructions) to your Ravelry account page!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. First time following a pattern and it turned out fantastic. Cant wait to see it onmy new granddaughter next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it! Congrats on the soon arrival of your granddaughter!

      Delete
  15. Thank you so much for this free pattern! It took some time to figure it out considering I've only been crocheting since December, but it turned out good and I think it will look great on my future baby cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. UK crocheters please remember the instructions are for US users eg sc is our dc their dc is our treble crochet so check before you start for the UK equivalents or it will not work out

    ReplyDelete
  17. How does the ribbon tie into a bow? And is a bow on both sides?

    ReplyDelete