Friday, May 19, 2017

Lacy Baby Blanket with Ruffled Trim and a Matching Hat


I often get emails or messages through my Etsy shop from people asking whether I take crochet commissions. Most of the time I don't. 

I always have so many crochet (and now knitting!) projects of my own, that I can hardly find time for commissions. In addition, I've had some negative experiences in the past when the commissioner would just disappear.

Someone contacted me recently, and I was really moved to help this lady. It turned out she used to live in my city though now she lives in a different state. She needs two baby blankets for her friends' babies. 
And I absolutely love working on baby items. There is just something very special and heartwarming about crocheting for new little angels. 

She was also very kind to pay me upfront, which any crocheter who takes commissions greatly appreciates. 

So this is the first set that I made!



Those of you who follow my blog would probably recognize the Lacy Baby Blanket pattern. It is the most popular pattern on my blog. And it also was the very first pattern that started me on my pattern writing path!


The pattern for the matching hat in size 3-6 months is also available free on my blog.

And I also have the pattern for the same hat in size 0-3 months

But you will notice that I made a different edging both on the blanket and the hat (my customer wanted a ruffled border). I don't have a written pattern for that, but this link could be useful




The yarn I used was Snuggly Wuggly by Loops & Threads, which is one of my favorite yarns for baby blankets. I used size E/4 (3.5 mm) hook for the blanket. For the trim I used a bigger, size G/6 (4.25 mm) hook as I wanted it to be very light and airy. 

I am now working on the second blanket!



I'm linking this post to
Craft Schooling Sunday @ Crative Jewish Mom

The Homemaking Party @ Hope in Every Season
Clever Chicks Blog Hop at The Chicken Chick
The Real Crafty Link Party at Keep It Real
Link Your Stuff @ Annamarie's Haakblog

8 comments:

  1. The blanket and hat look so lovely!
    My "problem" with working commissions: I never know what is a fair price to ask.
    The amount of what I pay for the yarn + ???
    How do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at crochet baby blankets for sale on Etsy and how much people charge to estimate my price.

      Delete
  2. Ольга, очень красивый комплект

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful Olga she's going to be so pleased with them. I used to work on commissions many years ago but find that now very few people are willing to pay a fair price. Have a great weekend. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your set is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
    Enjoy the week.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful Olga! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! I love working on baby blankets too. Just have to find babies to give them to! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! This color is so tender!

    ReplyDelete