Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Crocodile Stitch (Alternating Scales) Tutorial


Do you like Crocodile Stitch? I do, though I haven’t made any crochet items using it yet (just a few trial swatches).



However, I made a tutorial for this lovely stitch to share on my blog. Perhaps it will be useful to beginner crocheters. 



Besides, once I have the pattern all written out and photographed, it will be much easier for me to adjust it for a complete project pattern if I get inspired in the future :-)






Multiple of 6 plus 4. To make the swatch shown in this tutorial, I started with ch 28.

The first row is simple:

dc in 4th ch from hook, *ch 1, skip 2 ch, dc in next ch, ch 1, skip 2 ch, 2 dc in next ch* across.


Next, I’m using bright pink yarn to demonstrate how a “scale” is made.

5 dc around 1st dc-post (half the scale is made).


Then ch 1, 5 dc around 2nd dc-post (first scale is made).


Turn your work to the wrong side


and make sc into next dc.


Turn the work back to the right side, and finish the rest of scales in similar manner:

* 5 dc around next dc-post, ch 1, 5 dc around next dc-post, turn your work to the wrong side, sc in next dc, turn work to the right side* across.





This is what the first row of scales looks like in main color. 


The end of the row is a bit tricky. 

In the second half of the last scale, make only 4 dc (instead of 5) around the last dc-post. Then make ch 3 and sl st into the middle of the scale.


The third row is simple:

Ch 4, *2 dc in next space between 2 scales (that’s a sc that we made on the wrong side in the previous row), ch 1, dc in middle of scale, ch 1* across, ending with dc in middle of last scale.


Again, I’m using pink yarn to demonstrate Row 4:

Skip 1st dc, 5 dc around next dc-post, ch 1, 5 dc around next dc-post.   Turn the work, sc in next dc.





Continue across in the same manner.



At the end of the row, turn the work to wrong side, make sc into 3rd ch of beginning ch-4, then turn back to right side.



Row 5 : ch 3, dc in same space, *ch 1, dc in middle of scale, ch 1, 2 dc in next space between 2 scales* across.



At the end of row, make the last 2 dc into the end of the last scale.



Next you simply repeat Rows 2 – 5.






32 comments:

  1. Love it! Thank you..I have seen it as edging on a baby blanket..I dont know how the corners would work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Also good for the breast of an owl, I think so.
    Thanks for the tutorial!
    Greetings, Corine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Olga, I learn more from fellow crochet bloggers than I do from books.. I am very grateful for your lovely tutorial..Much appreciated. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely stitch! I have made a purse with this stitch which is pending for lining. But the stitch is a bit time consuming ...the project grows slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet of you to make a tutorial. That is the best way to learn a new stitch.
    Lots of hugs for you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this wonderful tutorial. Will be using this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you post this as I have always wondered how to make it. Thanks so much,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable!Thanks so much for sharing the great tutorial! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous day!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made a baby dress using this stitch in the yoke. Funny, I didn't know it was the crocodile stitch. I thought they were just little hearts. Thanks for the lesson and the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo! So easy to understand! Love this...thank you! I have something to make that screams for this technique. Perfect timing! Thank you, THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ольга, очень интересное вязание и подробно и понятно сфотографировано. Буду пробовать вязать. Спасибо!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Olga, it looks very pretty - perfect for a bag? A shawl? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous...what a great tutorial! This would be perfect to link-up to my Create It Thursday post...it's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/06/create-it-thursday-6-plus-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful tutorial. I'm going to pin it so that I can remember it later. I think I can do this with the help of your post. :)
    THANKS!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a cute stitch. Thanks for sharing the how to with us at TTF this week!

    Linda & Diann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial, I've pinned it to try, it looks a little tricky for me, but it is so cute! Thanks
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,Olga!Great blog- I'm your new follower!
    I'm new in crocheting and like to lern new tehniks- thanks so much for a tutorial!
    kisses from Greece!
    http://freestilcreatingbyvilly.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love crocodile stitch! I love using this on a hat or a cowl thank you for sharing. I am inviting you to visit my blog. Have a nice day ;)

    Cutey Patuty Crochet

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the tutorial.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the tutorial! My sis made us a cozy for the coffee plunger at our little holiday house with this stitch, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for this clear tutorial, you have a nice and beatiful blog to.

    Love Jann

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so pretty! What a talented lady you are!Thank you for sharing at TTF this past week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Olga you are so talented. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. you know this is one of my most favorite stitch.... i already made a bag and another one is half a way.....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello I am new to following your blog, I have never seen this crocodile (alternating shells)stitch before and you have explained it beautifully. Thanks for taking the time with your blog to pass on what you have learnt. I'm sure I shall be a regular visitor here. Take care and thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, thank you for such kind comment and welcome to my blog. I hope you can find useful tutorials and patterns here.

      Delete
  26. Excellent instructions - the pink on the white makes it extremely clear - thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  27. Excellent instructions - the pink on the white makes it extremely clear - thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  28. Best tutorial for it I've seen. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your directions work well and the pink on white is helpful. What needle size are you using? My project is turning out a bit bulky.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I tried to follow another tutorial for this stitch and it had me coming and going. Yours was so easy to follow, I even switched colors on the second set of scales without fear. Thank you ever so much!

    ReplyDelete