Sunday, June 2, 2013

One Pattern, Two Flowers



I recently made a baby hat and was looking for a flower to adorn it. I didn’t want to use any of the flowers I already used, so I experimented and came up with a new flower pattern.

The two flowers shown in the pictures are basically the same pattern with one difference – chain ring vs. magic ring as a start.




The flower on the right was made starting with a chain 5 joined into a ring. I wasn’t too happy about the big hole in the middle. Though it works nicely if a cute button is added (I didn’t have a cute button on hand, so I used the only one I could find simply for the sake of taking a picture).

So, to fix the problem of the big empty flower center, I tried a magic ring. It worked out perfectly! The flower on the left is the one I will be using for my baby hat (which I’ll show you later this week).

If you are not familiar with the magic ring technique, this tutorial might be helpful.  




I used Snuggly Wuggly by Loops and Threads and US size H/8 (5.00 mm) hook. The flowers turned out almost three inches (about 7.5 cm) in diameter.



I give the patterns for both versions below.



Empty Center Crochet Flower


Ch 5, join in ring with sl st.

Round 1: ch 1, *2 dc, sc in ring * 5 times, sl st into first ch-1 to join the round.

Round 2: ch 2, turn the flower to the wrong side and work into original ring, sc in between next 2 dc, ch 3, *sc in between next 2 dc, ch 3* 4 times, sl st into first sc to join the round. You should have five ch-3 loops on the wrong side of the flower.

Continue working on the right side of the flower into the ch-3 loops made in Round 2.

Round 3: ch 1, *5 dc in next ch-3 space,  sc in next sc* 5 times.

Fasten off. 





Closed Center Crochet Flower

Magic ring

Round 1:  ch 1, *2 dc, sc in ring * 5 times, sl st into first ch-1 to join the round. Don’t pull the magic ring yet!

Round 2:  ch 2, turn the flower to the wrong side and work into original ring, sc in between next 2 dc, ch 3, *sc in between next 2 dc, ch 3* 4 times, sl st into first sc to join the round. You should have five ch-3 loops on the wrong side of the flower. Pull the ring tightly!

Continue working on the right side of the flower into the ch-3 loops made in Round 2.

Round 3: ch 1, *5 dc in next ch-3 space,  sc in next sc* 5 times.

Fasten off.

10 comments:

  1. Danke! Es ist wundervoll!^^
    Liebe Grüße,*Manja*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear I can't do that magic ring, maybe I am not magic enough!
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so sweet, so nice of you to share the pattern. Will certainly use these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing the pattern of this beautiful flowers !
    Have a nice week !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. Lovely flowers, they can be used to embellish clips, bands and even hats :-) so nice.
    Thank you

    Ranjitha
    www.hookingtheyarn.blogspot.cm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Pretty Crochet flowers. Thanks for sharing the patterns. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love these pretty flowers! Thanks for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only viewed a few of the items you have made and WOW is all I can say!! You crocheting beautifully!! Thank you for sharing your patterns! Looking forward to trying many of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made them! They look beautiful on some slippers I just finished!!! Here is the link for the slippers I'm doing, hope you don't mind. They fit perfectly!
    http://www.lbyarnco.com/2010/02/spring-slippers-2/

    ReplyDelete
  10. very lovely flowers.. those magic ring looks so cute than the other..thanks for sharing the pattern..so helpful...

    ReplyDelete