Thursday, June 27, 2013

Spider Stitch Triangle for a Shawl, free pattern



For those of you who like making triangular shawls here is a fancy spider stitch.

However, I must warn you that it’s not a beginner level pattern! 

Even though the stitch itself involves only double crochets, single crochets, and chains, there are lots and lots of “skipping”, which makes the pattern complicated. In addition, there are repeating instructions within repeating instructions, which might be confusing if you’ve never worked with such patterns before. 

To make the sample shown in the picture, I used leftover cotton yarn from my stash. But I think it will look much better in acrylic or wool yarn.  

Of course, your shawl will need some edging. You might want to check out the simple edging I used for this spider-stitch shawl.  




Row 1: Ch 4, 2 dc in 4th ch from hook.

Row 2: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 1, skip 1 dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 3: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 1, skip 1 dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 4: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 3 times, ch 1, skip next dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 5: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 5 times, ch 1, skip next dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 6: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 7, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 3 times, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, 3 dc in next dc, ch 7, skip next dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 7: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 3, sc in 4th ch of ch-7, ch 3, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, **dc in next dc, ch 1** 2 times, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, 3 dc in next dc, ch 3, sc in 4th ch of ch-7, ch 3, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 8: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 4, sc in last ch of ch-3, sc in next sc, sc in next ch, ch 4, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch, dc, ch}, 3 dc in next dc, ch 4, sc in last ch of ch-3, sc in next sc, sc in next ch, ch 4, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 9: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 5, sc in last ch of ch-4, sc in each of next 3 sc, sc in next ch, ch 5, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch-1 space, ch 5, sc in last ch of ch-4, sc in each of next 3 sc, sc in next ch, ch 5, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 10: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 1, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 4, skip next ch-space and next sc, sc in each of next 3 sc, ch 4, 3 dc in next dc* across,  end with ch 1, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 11: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc, ch 1, dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 3, skip next ch-space and next sc, sc in next sc, ch 3, 3 dc in next dc* across, end with ch 1, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 12: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 3 times, ch 1, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, 3 dc in next dc* across, end with ch 1, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 13: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, ch 1, skip next dc, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 5 times, ch 1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next ch-1 space , *ch 1, skip next 2 dc, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 5 times, ch 1, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next ch-1 space * across, end with ch 1, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 14: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 7, skip next dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, dc in next dc, **ch 1, dc in next dc** 3 times, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, 3 dc in next dc* across, end with ch 7, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 15: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 3, sc in 4th ch of ch-7, ch 3, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, **dc in next dc, ch 1** 2 times, skip next {ch, dc, ch}, 3 dc in next dc* across, end with ch 3, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 16: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 4, sc in last ch of ch-3, sc in next sc, sc in next ch, ch 4, skip next 2 dc, 3 dc in next dc, ch 1, skip next {ch, dc, ch, dc, ch}, 3 dc in next dc* across, end with ch 4, 3 dc in last dc.

Row 17: Ch 3, turn; 2 dc in same beginning space, *ch 5, sc in last ch of ch-4, sc in each of next 3 sc, sc in next ch, ch 5, skip next 3 dc, 3 dc in next ch-1 space* acrpss, end with ch 5, 3 dc in last dc.

Repeat Rows 10-17.






And here are some shawl patterns from my shop: 







13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this beautiful patern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing !! I wasn't aware of this stitch's name. I had made a jacket for me with this stitch some 15 years back:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olga, what a beautiful blog you have! And so many lovely patterns. I came across your site over on Janice's blog today. My name is Delisa, I am 50 years old and live in a small rural town in Georgia. I love to crochet, knit, and needlepoint. Crochet has always been my first love. You are very talented! I hope you have a lovely day ahead, happy crocheting! Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great pattern! I feel like I learn so much every time I come here. :) Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just used this stitch for a shawl, too! I found the pattern at www.crochet-plaisir.com, but it's a little different inbetween the spiders (didn't know the pattern is called spider stitch by the way). Nice to see yours! My post is scheduled for next week.

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sure i do want to try this shawl... olga.... but again this come under my to do list... don't know when i will take my hooks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. que bonito es el punto araña!! yo teji hace un tiempo una toquilla para mi sobrina y quedo preciosa, aunque he de decir que me perdia mucho en el esquema y tuve que hacer y deshacer muuuchas veces jejeje;un besito.maria:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Красивый образец для вязания шали!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hola ☺ me encanta este modelo me lo llevo y con tus explicaciones mas rápido, sos una genia gracias besitos Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice pattern, thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful Olga! I have been wanting to make a shawl for fall. I had one when I was a child and loved it! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've done the spider stitch before on a swatch square and I really liked it. Your shawl pattern is really cool. I'm going to try it right now...but one question. How can I make it bigger? What row or rows do I repeat? I've read and now understand to repeat rows 10-17 to finish your listed/written pattern...but what if I choose to make it bigger? Thanks, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful design. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete