Thursday, June 6, 2013

Summer Baby Blanket in Variegated Yarn, Free Pattern



This is the seventh baby blanket I’ve made this year. I used Bernat Baby Sport yarn, and my blanket came out very light and airy. I think it’s perfect for babies born in summer as it is not as warm as blankets made with worsted yarn.



The edging is quite simple; it’s only one round of single crochets. The reason for that is that I didn’t have enough yarn to make a fancier edging. This blanket took exactly one ball of yarn (892 yds/8.5 oz), and I only had a few yards of yarn left.

But I think even with a simple border, the lacy stitch and variegated yarn make this blanket quite lovely.

The stitch pattern is very easy and quick to work. In fact, I made this baby blanket in only three days.




This pattern is my original design. It cannot be posted on other sites or distributed in any other form. If you would like to share this pattern, you can post ONE image on your site with the link to my original post. You can use this pattern to make items for personal use or for sale. If you sell finished items from this pattern, you must give design credit to Lacy Crochet blog (lacycrochet.blogspot.com). Please, respect my work. Thank you!


Skill Level: Easy


Approximately 32 inches (81 cm) square.



Bernat Baby Sport, Tiny Tulips, 1 ball (892 yds/816 m)


US Crochet Hook Size E/4 (3.50 MM). This is not the recommended hook for this yarn, but I like using smaller size hooks, so that my stitches come out a bit tighter.



Ch 141 loosely.



Row 1: (4dc, ch 3, dc) all in 5th ch from hook, *skip 5 ch, (4 dc, ch 3, dc) all in next ch* across, dc in last ch. Ch 3, turn.



Row 2: *(4 dc, ch 3, dc) all in next ch-3 space* across, dc in 3rd ch of turning ch-3. Ch 3, turn.



Repeat Row 2 until you have 56 rows in total. Don’t make turning ch 3 in last row.



Trim:



Working in last row: Ch 1, turn. *3 sc in next ch-3 space, skip next dc, 2 sc in next 2 dc* across.



Working in end of rows: *3 sc in next end of row, 2 sc in next end of row* across. Make 5 dc in corner space.



Working in original chain: *sc in next space where 4 dc of Row 1 where made, 4 sc in next ch-space* across. Make 4 dc in corner space.



Working in end of rows: *3 sc in next end of row, 2 sc in next end of row* across. Sl st to join the round.



Fasten off.




I'm linking this post to Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House,
Clever Chicks Blog Hop at The Chicken Chick,
Teach Me Tuesday Link-Up @ Growing Home,
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits @ Stone Gable
Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove
I ♥ Fridays Link Party @ Petals to Picots
Link Your Stuff @ Annamarie's Haakblog
Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove
Craft Schooling Sunday @ Crative Jewish Mom
Home Sweet Home Friday @The Charm of Home,
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home,

17 comments:

  1. Love this! Living in Florida light lacy blankets are a big hit. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful pattern again! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ольга, красивое получилось одеяло из красивой пряжи!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that yarn! Tiny Tulips color? :) Beautiful blanket and pattern Olga!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty olga !!! I luv the color

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty! Thanks for linking with TTF!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this and it was the hit of the baby shower

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very pretty Olga, I will have to make one thanks for the pattern! so we have both been making lace you with your crochet and me with my knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, so happy to have you as a regular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Olga, this is beautiful. You do a very nice job. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this idea for a baby shower. You lacy crochet baby blanket is just beautiful, any new mom would love to have it. In fact anybody would love this design. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I am a new crocheter. I love this blanket and would like to make this for my sister who is expecting her first baby, but I would like to make it slightly bigger. Is it possible to increase the size by increasing the original number of chain stitches? Any assistance will be much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginger, yes you can increase the original chain. This stitch is a multiple of 6 plus 3, so you can increase your chain either by 6, 12, 18, or 24.

      Delete
  13. Thanks Olga for sharing this lovely pattern :) it is so different ... And so easy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crocheted this in Funny Prints and like how soothing the pattern is in blue and green. Want to try making a hat with matching "lacey" brim next :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am making this blanket for my grand daughter that's yet to be born. She'll be in California, so I think this will be a great weight! Easy easy to work up, so far. Thank you for the great instructions.

    ReplyDelete